Popular Posts

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Ideck In A 2001 Lexus Rx300

Ideck In A 2001 Lexus Rx300 Cover I am currently using the iDeck in a 2001 Lexus RX300. This vehicle lacked any sort of Aux input and some internet research hinted that it was possible, but only after splicing some wires and some pretty invasive techniques. I had attempted this in a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix and had poor results, so I started looking for some non-invasive ways to add an Aux connection to the Lexus. My initial thoughts were to suck it up and use an FM transmitter. Once again, I’ve tried them in the past with the Grand Prix and had poor/mixed results. Sometimes it would work wonderfully but, as many people know, the signal would need constantly tweaked when I would commute from Baltimore to Northern VA. Finally, I decided that I would try a tape deck adapter when I got the Lexus. I’m still surprised that it has a standard tape deck but, after finding the iDeck, I’m glad that it does. The iDeck works wonderfully, and I’m especially impressed with it’s cradle – it really holds my iPhone 3Gs firmly. The packaging was excellent, and it includes a multitude of rubber backings based on your particular Apple product. As I had said, I’m currently using an iPhone 3Gs, primarily with Pandora Radio. The sound quality left a little to be desired when directly plugged into the iDeck. There is a white noise that accompanies the sound and this is due, I’m sure, to the tape deck interface. It wasn’t as good as I had expected but was definitely clear enough to hear – the white noise however would overtake the sound at high volumes. Thankfully I had read that you could run a 3.5mm cable from the iPhone headphone output and into the iDeck’s Aux input. This was mainly to allow the device to play phone call audio through the speakers, but I found that it helped the sound output tremendously. So I am currently using the iDeck on a daily basis with a short 3.5mm cable running from the Aux input to my iPhone’s headphone jack. Upon plugging my iPhone in, I receive a pop-up claiming that the device is incompatible, but you can just select ‘No’ and everything is fine. 90% of the time I listen to Pandora with high quality steaming. The audio quality is much improved with the 3.5mm work-around, and now white noise is not an issue until high volumes/quiet audio tracks. The phone will receive calls as usual, and the audio will output to the car speakers. However, it’s much quieter than Pandora, so the car speakers need to be adjusted when I’m receiving a call. Also, my voice is difficult to hear due to the location of the phone and the fact that’s docked. If I speak loudly, then it’s bearable, but I’ve received more than a few complaints when trying to speak through it. That being said, I still primarily use the phone for Pandora and it’s working great! It’s a little finicky when the iPhone is left docked and the car is stopped/restarted. The car cuts its power to the device, and then when it’s restarted you have to handle the popup again, and sometimes the sound is absent. A quick unplug/replug of the 3.5mm jack fixes it – so not an issue. I have already recommended the iDeck to a fellow employee and she loves it. She has a newer Lexus RX330 and has blue tooth for her phone, and uses an iTouch but she still had no way of using it in the vehicle until she got the iDeck. The one report back from her was positive. Overall, I’d recommend this product to anyone with a tape deck adapter. It was the easiest way to take advantage of my iPhone and Pandora without adding another monthly cost (i.e. Satellite Radio). Awesome product!

0 comments:

Post a Comment